Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hit the deck!!

My handy-dandy carpenter husband built us a new, two-level deck. It's terrific. After digging up a fair sized flower bed this afternoon, I figured I'd put that deck to good use and besides I was now pooped!

So, I sat upon it and watched the various back-yard creatures do all the things back-yard creatures do. I sat and rested, looking up into the mountain ash as the wind shifted through the leaves against a blue Saskatchewan sky.

The humming bird flitted back and forth in the lilac bush, gathering nectar. In the midst of the gathering, she decided to sit a while. There she sat, close enough for me to enjoy her iridescent plumage......the greens and blues and pinks.

I figured she and I had been working pretty hard out in the yard, and like me, became weary and needed to sit a spell and rest. I think we shared glances and knew as we glanced, we were on the same wave length.......rest is good. Then, off she flew, back to her routine and I went back to mine.

A robin came for a drink at the bird bath. A sparrow chirped his discontent at seeing "Job the CAT" prowling beneath his tree. Job was watching him alright but the warmth of the sun kept him languishing on his back......certainly not in the pouncing position.

I enjoyed that deck today. Our family came over for son-in-law's birthday party which was on the deck too. I think it will be well used this summer. It's a place of tranquility, a place where I can enjoy creation and sit and think and watch and just be.

I'd like to hit the deck again tomorrow, but alas, a work day is upon me.

No comments: