Friday, December 7, 2007

A hill to die on?

Those of us who have kids know the importance and wisdom of picking those "battles" on which to fight to the end and raise our standard high or die trying. It's not the actual battle that is important but it is whether or not we have thought through the reasons for having the battle in the first place.

Perhaps it just is not worth the effort. Dying after all, is pretty permanent and if we don't end up dying, well, admitting defeat is pretty humiliating. A lose/lose situation.

Do we choose the battle only because it is OUR way of thinking and so, we must win at all costs??

Do we, if we find ourselves in a position of authority, make decisions that are not very popular, and find ourselves getting angry because no one agrees with our decision??

Do we thoughtfully "reason with" the foe??? before everyone gets torn to pieces in the fray.

As I make my way through life, I realize I certainly would NOT have chosen some of the battles I fought........with children or others. It simply wasn't worth it in the end.

There really are more important issues in life than say, well, you fill in the blanks. Could be a lot of things.

As for me, I'll simply sit at home, pour myself a glass of beautiful raspberry wine and think about global warming..........................or poverty.....................or why people are jackasses................you know, important issues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's be honest, though. You're far more likely to come up with a solution to poverty and end global warming before you ever find a cure for being a jackass.

Sharon Kent said...

I would to be sure. That's why I left it to the last.