Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Simple Faith

I've been asked to respond to a meme. I first had to find out what a "meme" was so I could respond. I'm not an intellectual type as most of you know. I'm pretty OK with that because we wouldn't want EVERYONE in the world to be book learnin' types.

So, now that I found out what it is, I can respond.........in my "simple" fashion, of course.

I believe that God exists. Not because I can prove it or anything but when I observe the local/regional/world gene pool, I know there must be something else, other than us, to make life happen. Really.

I enjoy reading about the universe with the planets and solar systems, the black holes and stars and how we, as people on earth are so very small in the scheme of things. There are a gazillion stars out there people. With multitudes of galaxies and they are all out there spinning around in their orbits, doing what galaxies and stars do best.........and the universe just goes on and on and on and on.........but here I am in the midst of it all, typing on a computer, on a cold winter's night and having faith, that is believing that God, whom I cannot see, is what he said he is......Creator. I don't know about you but I haven't met anyone yet who could make a star or a planet or a whole universe out of nothing. I believe God did though.

I know God exists because I've seen Him in various other tid-bits of creation. Take a flower. A rose. Have you ever touched it's velvet petals? Smelled its scent? Taken one apart petal by petal to the very centre of it's own universe? Seen them all together in a lovely bouquet? I don't know about you but I haven't met anyone yet who could make one of those beauties out of nothing. I believe God did though.

Then there's the whole conception thing. One minuscule egg uniting with one minuscule sperm and there you go. A person. A person with capabilities to grow and learn and become something of value to others around it. A person who is capable of love and hate and reasoning and thinking.........or the reproduction of any species for that matter. Totally amazing. I believe it has to be God.

Simple faith allows me to read Scripture and know that the words written are true for my life just as they were true for the writers of those Words. I don't know the ins and outs of who wrote what about Jesus' life, or exactly what year they wrote the words, or if the words got changed somewhat along the way, but because in those particular words within the Bible, it says, "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made: without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not understood it." John 1:1-5 I believe and have faith that those words are true and so I believe that Jesus was with God since the beginning, that he was Creator, that He is eternal and that true life is in Him. Sounds simple to me.

We can easily make our simple faith very complex, I think, too. People look for complicated answers to life's questions. I think it's as simple as saying "God, help me to have faith." Ya. It's that simple.

Anyway, faith allows me to believe in God, whom I have not seen first hand but, I have experienced the delights of his presence within me and I have seen that simple faith lived out in others lives as well. Funny thing about it.........it's available to everyone.

I know me, so I will most likely think more on this and perhaps respond with further thoughts as they get mulled over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think those are some pretty profound thoughts. I think simplicity is sometimes way more beautiful than complexity.

Sharon Kent said...

I'm just a simple person alright. Thanks for the encouraging words.....


Mom