Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bare.

Daughter made the first move. Before I could say "jolly jingles Jupiter", the empty packing boxes were there next to the still lovely green tree....and being filled.

Our beautiful evergreen was being stripped bare. She held up well, even though she was a Quebec immigrant. We didn't hold that against her though. For a whole month, every night, she twinkled and sparkled and lit the corner of the room with bursts of colour. The decorations were constant reminders of our children at young ages, of parents now gone, of Christmases past.

She was hauled under a blanket to her final resting place in the back of the truck to be taken away.

I am thankful for how she gave her life to us and made our Christmas alight with the colors of the rainbow, not to mention the savory smell of pine as we walked past her branches.

She's bare as is the rest of the house. The outer garments of Christmas have all been packed away.

Only the wonderful memories of this Christmas linger on..................and I am truly grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am quite impressed you have all your decorations away. Mine are still up. I think it's more forgetfulness than Christmas spirit, but I think it counts for something.

Sharon Kent said...

If Shannon hadn't begun the deed, I'm sure ours would still be up as well.

I think I may, in time, be one of those old folks who just keep their Christmas decorations up all year long...........be prepared ;-)