Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18, 1917

This is my mother's birthday. She would have been 91 today. Missed St. Patty's by a day. But they called her Patricia anyway.

I think of all the many things about her that stay with me today. Her laugh. I can still hear her laugh. When she said something she thought was funny, she'd laugh and laugh - even though those around her didn't find it funny in the least.

She was good and kind. I liked how she treated people. She had the gift of hospitality.

She loved me, not so much in outward ways, but in ways I knew, deep inside me, that she cared about me.

She was a really great cook. She would have been proud of our children. They both now are great cooks, too.

She loved my Dad. That was always evident. They teased one another quite a bit too. Sometimes she could take it...........other times...not.

So, here's to my dear mother, Pat, who brought me into this world, and changed it to some degree, by simply bringing me into it. I thank her for the life she's given me and all she did to make my life a happy one.

Today, I thank God for my Mother......and wished she were here so I could say "Happy Birthday, Mom!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry mom. I don't want to imagine about having to think about you that way. Grandma was a wonderful woman and I know she loved us all so much. I still feel like she was THEE luckiest woman because she was married to thee single most wonderful man the world has ever seen.
I remember how she used to make the best bread ever. It was soooo good, I can still taste the sweetness in the dough when I would try and sneak it while she wasn't looking.
I also can recall fondly suppers where dad would tell her that the meat wasn't really beef that we had, but rather it was deer. He would always wait until she commented on how good it tasted and she would get so mad because apparently she hated deer.
I still remember the night she passed away. I was sick and she got up to check on me and suddenly she was gone.
It really brings a bit of perspective on life. About how quickly things can happen with out any prior notice.
We all think in a way that we are invincible, yet we really have no control over what tomorrow will bring.
I say cheers to Grandma with her tough Irish roots. When she looks down on all of us I hope she is happy with what she sees.

Love Shannon

P.S. oh and mom you are a lot like her...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.