Sunday, April 13, 2008

Just looking.........

Ever go into a store and the clerk comes up to you and asks if he/she can help you to find what you're looking for?

I have.

Most of the time I say "I'm just looking"....because I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Usually no one can help me find the specific "X" that I'm trying to find. I will know it when I see it.

Kind of like folks coming into the church for the first time.

We shouldn't have to be going up to them and asking if we can help them find what they're looking for because if they can't find "it" within the people asking the question, then it's not a good indication of what we are as a church.

If they're looking for truth, then they had better find it expressed in the people there.

If they're looking for love and acceptance, they had better find it also in the people there.

What about hope and peace and a sense of forgiveness?

What about social justice and feeding the poor?

Yep. We had better be about our Father's business alright. Folks are watching.

We had better be housing the Spirit of God within us or folks will go elsewhere to find what they're looking for.

Just an observation.

2 comments:

Shauna Bennett said...

Depending on my mood and the sales person, that can drive me crazy. Interesting to think about in the context of the church. Much the same as you've said, I think. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Woah, that's an awesome post. If people are looking for "it" and "it" is the love of Christ, they had better find it in the church without us having to speak words about it.