Friday, April 18, 2008

One minute you're fine...the next, not.

Isn't that how life seems to be. We think all is well. We proclaim that we are. We see our loved ones healthy and even our elderly loved one when we left her at around 1 p.m. today, seemed like she was over the worst of her pneumonia for the winter months and on her way to a great spring and summer.

Then the phone call.

She was calling me from on the floor. She had collapsed. I couldn't understand her hardly at all. Husband and I rushed over to find her lying by her chair. A stroke. Called ambulance and the rest is one big glob. Between actually remembering to bring her hospital emergency card with me from my place before I left and taking the things from her place that she will need in hospital, giving a myriad of other information to ambulance attendants and nurses and doctors and watching my dear little auntie handling all of the things done to her.....I'm bushed. But you know, she's one tough bird!! And her sense of humor remains in tact.

With ambulance personnel, nurses, doctors all asking her the same questions every 5 minutes, she was beginning to roll her eyes at them. "What day is it?" Aunt replies, "Well, it's Friday, April 18th isn't it?!" "When is your birthday?" Aunt replies, "June 25". Nurses talking in the room amongst themselves...."It's supposed to snow up to 40 cm tonight!" Aunt speaks up and says, "I think that's supposed to be Saturday night through Tuesday and we're supposed to get up to 50 cm!"

Ya. She's had a stroke alright. But it sure didn't affect her memory!!!

I'm leaving her in her hospital room this night, with the presence of God to comfort her.

What better hands could she possibly be in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for her.

Linea said...

What a woman - correcting the staff's weather report while they are looking after her medical events. One sharp cookie!

May God be reminding her and you of his care for all of you these days.

Dixie Vandersluys said...

It's tough and strange how life can change in a few moments. Hope all is going well with your aunt.

Sharon Kent said...

Thanks everyone for your wishes...which I have passed on to Aunt Connie.