Sunday, June 1, 2008

The "eyes" have it!!!

Husband and I were talking the other day about which of our senses we think we could do without.

We listed off various scenarios, attempting to make a case for where each of us stood regarding our answer.

Husband said his sight...right first off. He said our sight gives us so much and we could lead pretty normal lives without our other senses.

I said I wasn't sure. I can't imagine not hearing the voices of those I love and of my friends, of music, of the wind roaring and the rain pelting on the roof, the whisper of a secret, the sound of children on the other end of the phone. I said I could use my imagination as to what they all looked like and everything else around me.

But after thinking it over, I was swayed by the sense of sight as well. How could we appreciate our surroundings, the faces of our families, an apple tree in bloom, a sunrise, a bolt of lightening, a humming bird or crow, watching the expressions of love from my children and husband.

The tasting, smelling and touching....well, those weren't in the running with sight and sound....but they were important too, we figured. Touching a baby's skin, tasting strawberries and cream, smelling a rose.

We are quite the human beings, aren't we? Marvelous actually. Just how all the senses work together with our brain, is a miracle in itself. God simply does good stuff.

The writer of the Psalms also recognized that fact when he wrote Psalm 139:14 -
"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it."

Now let's end our day by appreciating all we have......while we have it! We just don't know what tomorrow will bring.....

No comments: