Sunday, June 15, 2008

A day for dads...

A great day to remember my dad. He was the best dad a girl could ever hope to have. The thing I recall most about his life was his patience....beyond what most people could muster. He had patience with everything and everyone. Then there was his sense of humor. He laughed often. I can still hear his laugh...

He had a kind face too. Actually, he was very handsome. Dark curly hair when he was young, vivid, big blue eyes that danced and a smile as big as his heart.

He loved to tease. He hated to have his feet tickled. He loved nature. He endured the death of his youngest son.

He loved God. He loved the church, his community of believers. He encouraged people in their faith just by how he lived his life.

He was my example of a life well lived. He was my husband's example of how to love his wife. He was my children's example as to how a grandpa should love them.

He must have had faults...but there were just too many good things abut him, that the faults were simply overlooked.

He took the time to care for people....that was his legacy.

So, today I thank God for my father....Philip Benson (1913-1986).

A man of honor, of strength, of character...a man whom I called "Dad".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was truly amazing. There are no more like him. And honestly I know we all have faults, but I can not think of any that he had. I miss him.

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a fine man. I regret having never met him.