Saturday, August 2, 2008

TCM

Ya, all you movie buffs know the classic movie channel - Turner Classic Movies. I enjoy watching that channel a whole lot. I enjoy it because it reminds me of how life used to be portrayed in the movies. It was simple, polite, violence-free, only very subtle hints of sex and not one swear or curse word to be had.

Why have we this insatiable desire to go beyond the limits of niceness. The more blood, violence, sex and intricate wretched political scheming, the better. The closer the movie can come to reality, the better. We have saturated our minds to the point of over-indulgence and total insensitivity and we wonder why our society has become the way it is. Reality TV is at it's high point, it seems, but I'm sure we have a long way to go yet, before we have fulfilled our blood lust.

I think our pastor was right when he said we become like those we are with as well as the kinds of things that we allow into our brains via our eyes and ears. We have become so saturated with the "real", that our imaginations are fighting to hold on and are feeling less than needed.

I don't want to become insensitive. I don't want to fill my brain with things that would take me away from things that are pure, holy, and true. I want to think on those things....good things. I want to read good literature and listen to music and lyrics that don't talk about unfaithfulness, murder, getting even and hate.

The Apolstle Paul talked about this unacceptable thinking too, in Philippians 4:8 "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

I want to be more like that. May God help me.

No comments: