Friday, August 8, 2008

We got to talking...

Ya, daughter and I got to talking tonight on the phone about her Grandpa, my dad. She was 9 years old when he died. She talked about how his death took something from her and she closed up a part of her life right then.

It's hard having someone you love so much, die. I felt that death too, immeasurably.

She went on to talk about how she had never heard him raise his voice to her or be angry with her in any way.......well, there was that one time. Once when poor grandpa was looking after her (she was 3), she and her pal Lisa went to school. Yes, they both took off walking to John Diefenbaker School and decided that they wanted to be students too. She knew the way as Grandpa would ride her on my bike each day to the "Yellow Tore" - Mars Foods. She didn't tell Grandpa she was leaving. I thought my dad was going to have a nervous breakdown right then and there!. Here he was responsible for her and he couldn't find her anywhere. I came home from work and began phoning and looking and walking and driving. Then a call came to our house. The teacher at the school knew who she was and knew Grandpa too. She called to say Shannon and Lisa were indeed enjoying their stay at school, but figured we would be worried about their whereabouts!!!! THAT was the only time Grandpa raised his voice to her....and when I got home...well, those were the days when spankings weren't illegal.

She remembered her Grandpa with such love and fondness. She wondered how life would have been if he had lived past his all-too-short 72 years. How would her life have been had he been around to influence her and encourage her in so many positive ways that only grandparents can.

It made me think about my role as a grandparent. I wonder how I'm measuring up. I would desire to live up to the love and compassion of my father.....but there was and always will be only one of him.

So, Dad, Grandpa, Phil Benson, if you're looking down on us in these days, be assured that your positive ways, your zany sense of humor and your care and concern for others, truly lives on through your dear granddaughter, Shannon Melody....and all of us left behind who continue to remember you with great love.

We got to talking.....and what better person to talk about....than a dear Grandpa.

No comments: