Sunday, September 14, 2008

Waiting...






When son phoned last night there was something that he said, or asked me, that no one has ever asked me....at least that I can remember.
He said "And what's happening in your spiritual life, Mom?"
I sometimes find myself asking others that question but I had not been asked that by anyone before, least of all my child.
I felt honoured to have been asked the question. How many people actually care about someone's spiritual life anyway these days.
I thought for a moment. I wanted to answer truthfully and plainly. My answer...."I'm waiting." I then went on to explain what I meant by that.
I'm waiting to hear from God on many things. Waiting to hear him regarding my children, what he has for them, the plans he has set before them and if they will allow themselves to mesh with his plans. I'm waiting to see hopefully some of my prayers fulfilled.
I'm waiting to see what God has for us as a church body. Waiting to see who God has prepared ahead of time to replace our dear Pastor who has been called elsewhere, in order for our church to become all that God wants her to be.
I'm waiting to see what the next step is in my own spiritual journey. I don't want to be jumping into things that I shouldn't be involved in, nor do I want to go ahead of God before I know what he is leading me into...... but I need to wait and see how he allows me to be used in perhaps new ways. I just don't know yet. I'm waiting and I need patience to do that.
Waiting is difficult. It's difficult because I always think I should be "doing" something...instead of waiting. But I have and continue to learn that in waiting, we begin to know the mind of Christ. In listening, in that small voice, we begin to find his leading. Iwant to make sure though, that I don't miss the boat, just sitting there waiting.....and the boat is off down river, with me not aboard.
So, there is a fine line, I'm finding. A fine line where we must step out in faith, believing in God. Not flying ahead. Not sitting behind. Stepping out.....believing that God is before me....and beside me and beneath me.
Isaiah 40:31 says:
"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength,
They shall mount up with wings as eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
In waiting I shall become strong.
As God renews my strength, I will be able to be like those birds up there. See how God has made their wings to allow them to take those huge bodies effortlessly into flight, to soar and be free.
And so, I shall wait upon the Lord.

3 comments:

Linea said...

That fine line of waiting - trying to be sensitive to God's moving - it is a hard place to be. but sometimes a necessary step it seems.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts on spirituality and waiting are timely Sharon. I am trying to figure out life right now and wondering if I am being selfish or if this a plan of Gods. I am having problems really figuring out if I am listening or barging ahead. In the past my decisions have been very easy and I have been confident in my decisions. This time is difficult - is that an omen or what? I really like what you said here - "In listening, in that small voice, we begin to find his leading. Iwant to make sure though, that I don't miss the boat, just sitting there waiting.....and the boat is off down river, with me not aboard.". Thanks for this Sharon. DW

Sharon Kent said...

DW: Ya, you're one of the ones I'm waiting on....and praying for. I think the stepping out in faith is one of the most difficult things to do. I pray you'll have a soft landing.:-)