Monday, November 17, 2008

Nostalgia.....

My Family....Dale, Mom and Dad


I was listening to a Christmas radio station at work today with all Christmas music. Some songs I really loved, others I wonder how they got to be in the "Christmas" category at all and still others brought back a flood of emotions and memories.
When I hear "O, Holy Night", I remember our friend Shelley Fullerton (Chamberlain) singing this song one Christmas Eve at our candle light service. She has a trained operatic voice and did the number great justice. It was a holy moment and one I will always remember. "......fall on your knees, O hear the angel voices, O night divine, O night when Christ was born......."
Then there was "Now Shine a Thousand Candles Bright"....with Rev. Wendell Anderson directing our church choir as we sang the words softly and crisply and tenderly......"To every dark and anguished heart, send down your ray divine, and may the light of God's own love like Christmas candles shine." I think he must be directing some kind of choir in heaven now, too.....
When I hear "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" sung by Gene Autry, I think of when I was very small and still had the magic and wonder of Christmas in my whole being (ya, even more than I do today!!!). Mom would sing along with me when it came on the radio. ".......and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glowed........"
There was another song too that tugs at my heart. I enjoyed it when I was young too, but it didn't have much meaning until I was much older............ "I'll Be Home for Christmas". I enjoyed it when I was younger because I didn't have to think about someone I love NOT being home for Christmas.
But there was a Sunday in December of 1974 back in the old house on 6th street, with the "record player" playing Glenn Campbell's rendition of "I'll be home for Christmas".......if only in my dreams"..........and my dear mother lying on the living room couch trying to sing along with the record but only sobs came from her throat and a river of tears was washing over her face. She was wanting her son to come home for Christmas but he would never be coming home again....he had died 10 weeks before. I remember the song too, with each year that a member of my family would never be coming home for Christmas......a brother, a mom....a dad.....and now an aunt.
Christmas music. I love it.....but sometimes it's just not that easy to listen to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

I love Christmas music too. And my favorites are O Holy Night and I'll be Home for Christmas. But, like you I have fewer and fewer family left and usually they are all in B.C.So when I hear 'I'll be home for Christmas". I bawl through the whole song. I really miss my childhood Christmases. And I must say I love the Covenant's candle light serves and I usually bawl through that also. I love your enthusiasm for our Lord's birthday. you go girl!

Sandy Wickett

Anonymous said...

I just want to know why "Christmas" - a season for joy, peace, sharing and love can at the same time be so very loney, depressing and cause so much personal dispair? I find Christmas very challenging for me, as I am sure it is for many others as well. I too can't listen without crying to "I'll be home for christmas..." I find myself often praying for strength to get me thru - emotionally and spiritually. I am so forunate that God has porvided me with "strength" and humour, the tough part is figuring out how to use them wisely!!! dw

Sharon Kent said...

Sandy, I guess we're just emotional people and that's totally alright. Looks like we have that song in common....all three of us...dw included.

dw, I agree with you. I think it can depend on our values somewhat too....as in, is it really and truly a time of total giving or do I still want something in return. Maybe it's because of loss of people in my life as well. It can all add up to serious depression for some. I really try to get the "giving" thing going, as I know you do, but even then, some years it's just harder than other years. You use your humour very well, I might add!