Monday, November 24, 2008

When death comes.....community happens.

Loretta and Tracy....my friends....

Food....more than we needed......

Marian, Win, Margaret, Mildred, Clara,
Birdie and Joan....more of my friends....



Dave and Phil in the sink....my friends and co-workers.....
I've spoken quite a bit about death lately. I suppose because when we are stinging from the effects of death, it is a ready source for discussion.
Today was another tribute to a friend and member of our church community - Vern Hunt. I always liked to think of Vern as a gentle giant. He was a man of compassion, of gentleness and laughter. He was a family man and was adored by his wife, children and grandchildren, as was evidenced today at his funeral. When a part of our community dies, we gather together, those who are left, to be hospitable and welcome the guests who come to our church by feeding them.
Nearly 400 people attended. All were fed and so much left over. Our community is good at helping, I think. And we enjoy being together to get the job done. It's not only a time of tears but it becomes a time to enjoy one another's company while doing that.
I am one of the most fortunate people on earth, because of the people I have to love and care for and who, in turn, love and care for me. Some of those folks are pictured above.
Note, we even get the men into action. But it wouldn't be a first for Dave and Phil to offer their help with kitchen duties. They look quite at home, don't you think? Other men, husband included, worked hard in the parking lot getting everyone parked properly, a most difficult job......and a most thankless one. It's kind of like leading sheep except sometimes these sheep have minds of their own.
So, when people die within our community, we get together as one. We do what needs to be done and we do it willingly.....because we love. Not regular pat-on-the-back kind of love. It's a God-love, a love that says we're here for you and we stand beside you. When you cry, we will cry with you. When you need food, we will provide for you. When you think you can't make it through the day, we will come and encourage you and remind you that there is so much more than this life here on earth.
Death came today.....and community happened. Praise be to God for his faithfulness.

3 comments:

Mr. C.C. said...

R.I.P. Vern.

I didn't know he died. At least he is in a better place now.

Anonymous said...

Good words. I like your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

...and thanks for the pictures.


Today I feel homesick.