Monday, January 12, 2009

The art of pouring cement.....



These two fine young men are in the business of concrete. Cement, that is. Readying the houses for concrete. Making forms. Pouring cement. Removing forms. Next job...and so on.
Matthew and Greg. Buddies through school....graduating together. Bible College together. Both living now in Winnipeg.
Now the two are pouring cement for the same company....in an effort to raise some much needed cash.
Hard labor is good for body, mind and soul....not sure about the spirit.
So, Mother (that's me) phones son (that's Matt), and the following conversation ensues:
Mother: Hi Dear. How's the first concrete day?
Son: Oh, pretty good.
Mother: There's a wind chill for Winnipeg. Did you dress warmly?
Son: Oh sure.
Mother: Were your feet warm?
Son: Yes.
Mother: Do you have steel toed boots?
Son: Yep. A hundred dollar boots.
Mother: Did you wear a toque? Ears are the first to get frostbite.
Son: Uh-huh...
Mother: What about your hands? You know how cold your hands get.
Son: Ya, pretty much warm. They got a little cold after I got my gloves wet though.
Mother: You should carry an extra pair of gloves, don't you think?
Son: Probably.
Mother: Do you have to work when it's really cold out? They really shouldn't allow that.
Son: No, not if it's really cold.
Mother: Well, I'm glad about that.
Son: Ya, me too!
Mother: Are you working on a guitar right now? (as great music is heard over the phone)
Son: ........(more great music being played)
Mother: Well, that's how I'll be able to hear you play your guitar from now on....when you're repairing them.
Son: .......(more twangs and all kinds of musical miracles are played with great gusto and passion)
Mother: Just give me a call next time you're fixing another one of those things. I do love to hear you play.
Son: ......chuckle.....sure.
Mother: Well, sounds like you've had a hard, busy day doing concrete things and now you're repairing guitars all evening. You probably need some rest.
Son: I'm nearly finished the guitar now (followed by a loud peel of stringed vibrato!!!)
Mother: How was Kim's first day back at school?
Son: She had one lab today but she's in for a huge workload in that class. She's fine though.
Mother: I hope she will do fine in it.
Son: Oh, I think she will.
Mother: I'd better leave you to your repair work dear. I love you, dear.... and say hi to Kim.
Son: I love you too. I will.
Mother: 'Nite.
Son: 'Nite.
I wonder if all mother's are as "interested" in their children's comings and goings as I am?
Probably.:-)
Now, to phone daughter......they're having a snow storm in Regina.........

No comments: