Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What does that song remind you of??

As the snow drifted softly outside the dimly lit home, inside the "old lovers" sat beside one another on the couch, listening to www.galaxie.ca No fireplace. No cats.

With their fingers intertwined, feet resting on the large foot stool, songs for lovers wafted gently over the hushed tones of the living room......"Mona Lisa" played by Henry Mancini, various themes from old movies, songs by the Carpenters and Natalie Cole (daughter of Nat King Cole).

One of them would say...."what movie does that song "Alfie" remind you of?"

The other would reply...."uhhhhh, not sure...what???.....well, I think the movie 'Arthur'!"

The one would then say, laughing loudly and fairly spoiling the romantic moment, "The song "Alfie" reminds you of the movie "Arthur"???!!! Now THAT'S very funny!!"

The other would ask, "What was the movie "Alfie" about anyway....I forget!"

The one would reply, "Remember with Michael Cain, the English bloke who acts like a real ladies man, gets his girlfriend pregnant, wants her to have an abortion but she keeps the baby. He leaves her and she marries another and takes his child, a son, with her. At the end Alfie realizes what he has missed in life....a girl who loved him and a son."

And on and on it went.

It was a good evening. Quiet. Sweet. Gentle. Life-giving. A date....but not a date.

That's all I will tell you. The rest of the evening well, what do old lovers do anyway?.:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mona Lisa is one of those songs that always gets stuck in my head and I sing it all day long -- thinking I sound a lot prettier and jazzier than I really do.

And when you said "Alfie" I thought of the Jude Law/Renee Zelwegger version. I bet the original is better, b/c the remake wasn't very good.

Oh, great pie by the way. I ate both lemon pieces Monday night! (What else would you expect, though?) :)