Monday, February 9, 2009

'da luuuuuuuuv week......

Thought this week I'd remind myself what love really is, being St. Valentine's Day on Saturday and all.

I think the best revelation of what love is, comes from the Bible in I Corinthians 13....the love chapter. I'll be posting a few verses every day this week.

It starts off by the Apostle Paul saying this:

"Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self."

Heh!!! NEVER gives up, eh? I can't count how many times I've given up....on others. I suppose even on myself and should I dare say....on God???? But it says real love never gives up. It keeps on. It perseveres. It finds enough good in the other to keep on. It just doesn't quit. It's relentless. It does not give up.

And then it says it cares more for others than for self. I don't know about you, but I've had a problem with that one. Seems like I'm always looking out for #1 more than I aught. That's me, by the way.....#1. But it says love doesn't do that. I had better pull myself to the back of the line. I had better make way for others. I must get my caring papers updated and perhaps even redone. I sometimes care for others more than myself, but there are more times I think, when I care for me more than others.

As I read these verses again, I am constantly reminded of what the Apostle Paul was reminding the people in Corinth. DON'T GIVE UP ON PEOPLE...CARE FOR THEM MORE THAN YOU DO FOR YOURSELF. He's reminding them that this is what Jesus did and since I am a"Christ follower", like the Christ-followers in Corinth, should I not be doing the same?

Yes.

I think Paul was trying to get the Body of Christ....those Christians in Corinth, to re-evaluate what love really was and how it should be....within that Body, that group of believers. They needed a bit of a reminder what the love of Christ really looked like.....and so, as I read this passage, I too, am reminded of Christ's selfless and relentless love for me.

So, today I shall remind myself to keep on with people....to not leave them behind, because that is what Jesus wants us to do....to not give up....on others, on ourselves, on life, on God. I must keep on. And also to care more....care more.....care more....care more.....care more....for others before I care for myself.

I think if I type it a few more times, it may sink in.....care more....care more....care more...for others..........BEFORE myself.

It's what love does.

But hey, I'm a slow learner, so have patience with me.

No comments: