Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I'm a pure bred Prince Albertan....


It was a cold December 11th in 1947 that I was born, right here in Prince Albert. Not too many folks my age can say that they've lived right here in P.A. all their lives. Many leave for various reasons - school, job, health, etc. But I have stayed right here, comfortably and happy.

Born in the old Victoria Hospital (where the present day YWCA stands), a week or so later I was brought to this home (above) on 20th Street East to live out my infancy. The house didn't have the little front porch that it has now, (I was told by my mother several years ago), and the yard was kept immaculately when mom and dad and my older brother and I lived there, (I was told by my father many years ago). The fence used to be a lovely white with cement steps up to the front door and dad had flowers and shrubs everywhere .

We lived beside some really great folks on that street too - Jack and Amy Hadley (the house to the right). The Hadley name is a well-known one in this city, as we are reminded when we dine at "Amy's on 2nd". THAT Amy is a niece of the Amy that lived beside us. Jack and Amy were great friends with my parents for many, many years.

I, of course, don't remember any of that house. I have no memories of it other than the ones mom and dad told me about. After dad returned from the war, there were very few houses anywhere to be had, so they felt fortunate to get that one, as tiny as it was. But dad could ride his bike to work or walk, as he was employed at "(Pat) Burns and Company", a meat packing plant, (later renamed to Burns Foods Ltd. and later still a business that "burn"ed to the ground and then rebuilt). It was situated at the bottom of 6th avenue - where Superstore now resides.

We had lived there on 20th Street, I think for maybe close to two years, when we moved to 29th Street West, right next door to my mom's sister and her family.

Maybe tomorrow, I shall tell you tales of my life on 29th Street West. I remember a great deal living on that street. Wonderful memories......and I was only around 2 years old.

Some people would think me weird, strange or even odd to admit that I have lived in Prince Albert all my 61 years. I feel quite fine about it, actually. Proud too. I think you make choices to live life right where you are and to enjoy yourself.

Yes. That is what I have done.

Tomorrow...."Tales of a Two-year Old"...

No comments: