Thursday, June 4, 2009

Consistent???....

If there was one thing I could leave people for when I'm not here anymore, I wonder what it would be?

We've had a rash of folks passing away...relatives of co-workers....parents mostly and a few who have retired and have died suddenly (not known to me, but nonetheless.......).

What will we leave as our legacy? How will we be remembered. Elvis Presley....by his singing. Rembrandt....by his paintings. Winston Churchill....by his stalwartness. Jesus Christ....by his love. Sharon Kent......by her inconsistencies and failures in life.

Perhaps people would say "Remember her....the one who......(fill in the blank) - 'messed up her life pretty badly at one point' OR 'was a totally rotten mother most of the time' OR 'didn't think of anyone but herself' OR 'didn't really do much in life that was very memorable' OR 'she didn't really have much going for her'...etc. etc. etc."........

Or would they say things like "Remember her...the one who (fill in the blank) - 'even though she messed up her her life pretty badly at one point, by the grace of God, went on to be a better person' OR "Ya, sometimes she messed up as a mother alright but on the whole, taught quite a bit about love and forgiveness to her kids' OR 'No, she didn't really do much that was memorable but I remember how she cared about others' OR 'No, she didn't have much going for her but that wasn't important to her because what she did have was God in her life'....etc. etc........

At this point in my life, I'm trying, with God's help, to end up like the comments in the preceding paragraph. I'm trying. But you know, I just fail so badly some days at being a human being. I get arrogant; I become pitiful and loathsome; I get grudge matches going which I lose every time; self-righteousness becomes my second name..maybe even my first name:-( I don't think of others before myself; I say nasty things about people I care about......and I'm 61 years old!! I sound some days like an adolescent who is only beginning to learn lessons in life and here I am 61 and learning the same lessons I learned when I was 16!!!

I never cease to amaze myself at my inconsistencies.

By God's grace, I shall be a somewhat more likable human being tomorrow, and learn how to live a more consistent grace-filled life.

May God help me.......

1 comment:

deb said...

Sharon.....a woman whom I admire & respect; who made ME a better person; who devotes and gives herself in every way possible to family, friends & strangers; who taught ME to be more forgiving; whom I go to when I need a mother.......

If you want me to go on I can, very easily. I think God is quite happy with you. I believe that it is ok to mess up, it is how we learn and become better. Now, if we didn't learn, well, a cuff in the head might be needed!!!

Big hugs to you....