Friday, October 23, 2009

Another book I'm reading...

The book is "Revolution in World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan from Kerala state in south India.

It's most interesting. I suppose I'm finding it interesting because of my present ties to that country with our son volunteering there.

This man is not afraid to challenge the West with its great wealth, huge churches, media bombardment, selfishness, and greed. Watch some of his UTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYrKvXn7Ek

When I read books like this I become uneasy. I recognize my worldliness. I look around at my "possessions"...and I am apalled at my unnecessary "things".

Yes, we say, we are blessed. But what are we actually DOING with our blessings. By the looks of my house, I'd say I'm hanging on pretty tightly to mine.

What about our cash? Oh, sorry for stepping on your toes there!! But since it's Saturday tomorrow, perhaps some of us will go and buy a bunch of groceries, maybe look at a new vehicle (ours is almost 5 years old now!!!), get our hair "done", fill up our three vehicles with gas and give them a wash, and then if we have some time, we'll buy a new winter wardrobe.

In his book, Mr. Yohannan talks about religion in the "west" being a "multi-billion dollar business" (in the U.S. and most likely Canada as well!!). Upon entering churches, he notices and mentions all the carpeting, furnishings, air-conditioning and ornamentation, gymnasiums, orchestras, choirs, "special" music .....and he goes on to say...."seemed to me more like entertainment than worship."

He continues with, "Many North American Christians live isolated from reality - not only from the needs of the poor overseas, but even from the poor in their own cities. Amidst all the affluence, live millions of terribly poor people left behind as Christians have moved into the suburbs. I found that believers are ready to get involved in almost any activity that looks spiritual but allows them to escape their responsibility to the Gospel."

Hey, all you Christians out there....feeling uncomfortable yet???

Ya, me too.

4 comments:

Dixie said...

We've sponsored a native missionary in India from Gospel for Asia for almost 10 years now. I really like what KP has to say. (My dad is also a big fan, if you couldn't guess that!!)

It's taken me quite a while to find the balance between wanting to give everything away/feeling guilty for any possessions and living with open hands/enjoying what we have.

It's a tough balance. And we need to keep challenging each other.
Hope you enjoy the book! My dad is a library of all books missions-related, so if you ever want some other reading just give them a call. :)

Sharon Kent said...

You're right Dixie. It has always been a balance of some sort. I guess it's so easy for us to "set aside" portions for others because we have so much. Even if we gave 20% to missions, it still leaves most of us quite comfortable.

And yes, we help where we feel we can but what does Jesus say about our "stuff". It can be such a hindrance to true sacrifice. And what does sacrifice even mean in our context here in the west? Does it mean giving a 10% tithe each week, plus a bit more for good measure? Is it giving up a Saturday or two to help feed the poor? When does sacrifice begin to hurt us and make us uncomfortable?

I suppose it really doesn't matter about anyone else, does it. It's ME that needs to listen to what the Spirit is saying regarding these things.

Just thought I'd share it with everyone else too and see where the conversation leads.

But I continue to ask the question: "Why am I so possesive of my money?" I may truly have good intentions for using it but I continue to make it "mine". So, I suppose because I'm attempting to justify "my things", there may be others out there too, who are doing the same.

Thanks for the heads-up about your dad's library, too. Good idea!

Ta ta, for now.

Linea said...

"Even though we give all we have to the poor--- and don't have love - it is all for nothing." (my paraphrase)

This has to weigh into that balance somehow.

However, we are not called to be comfortable so I think it is OK and good to raise these questions. We do have to watch out for guilt though. That would be a wrong motivation for giving, I think.

Sharon Kent said...

No, you are right. Guilt is a negative motivator.

Receiving the joy of God should motivate us to give...joy in knowing who it is that blesses us.

Lots of things to think about and act upon.