Monday, December 21, 2009

A matter of the heart...


Whether we have piles of presents under the tree or no presents at all...what really does it matter?
I understand that it is the season for giving but have we lost the real reason that we do give? Sometimes I think I have forgotten that real reason.
Do we realize what giving is all about? Does it mean giving to those we love? Yes, to some degree. Does it mean giving because we have a big paycheck and lots of loot can be purchased? Sure, because we've been blessed! Does it make us feel good by being able to buy gifts for folks and wonder what we will get in return? I must admit, it does make me feel good but I also wonder sometimes what gifts are under the tree for me.....:-(
The Bible talks about giving too:
2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (New Living Translation)
" 6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”[a] 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others."
So ya....it's great to give....if we do it with the right spirit. God wants us to give with joy in our hearts...first! Seems like when we do that, God does the rest. He then gives us the things we need and even a pile left over for those that perhaps have nothing.
I'm going to be taking a second look at my motives for giving presents this year. And sometimes there simply are other priorities at Christmas, other than presents. Think of those out of work.... or struggling along on a single low-income with children to feed....or those that are trying hard to find a place to live because of various circumstances. Things are sometimes very difficult for people.
But if I look at what I have been given....and look at those that are in need....... and with JOY, being able to give away a portion of what I have, I think that is what Paul is talking about in 2Corinthians 9:6-8. Giving with joy according to what has been given to me.
Giving is an individual 'matter-of-the-heart" decision.
Blessings on your home this week.

2 comments:

deb said...

Thanks for this Sharon, I just would love it if one stress, did not turn into other other stresses. Why does the holiday season lead to a big ol pile of stresses? Say an extra little prayer for my hubby - I am not sure how to help him....he is so worried right now. Big hugs to you and Ken.....

Sharon Kent said...

Yes, you were some of those I was speaking of and asking God to come to your aid.

Special blessings on your home this season....and always....

Love you...