Saturday, April 24, 2010

The yellow rose...




Val bought us roses for Administrative Professionals Day...or whatever the catch phrase is these days for those on the lowest end of the totem pole.  I would prefer to call it "Grunt Day" and it would be totally fine with me!  I do jobs that I have been trained for.  I have a piece of paper that tells me that I have a certain skill set for the particular position I am in.  This paper that I received tells me that I should never end a sentence with a preposition, it says that I can use a calculator at a certain speed, that my shorthand skills were of a certain level and that I am capable of preparing and typing a letter of excellent quality.  Well, the paper says it but I'm not so sure I'm really great at any of those things.  And if the truth be known, those things aren't as important as the people I do the work for!  (see, I ended a sentence with a preposition!!)

The older I get, the more I realize how important people are in any workplace....whether they are my co-workers or the people I meet at the grocery till or those serving me in a restaurant.  How I respond to them and how I show grace to them are far more important than the jobs they are doing.

The fellow from the office supply store gave us four stems of tiny pink orchids too, for our special day.

It is good to be thought of and appreciated and those flowers were a wonderful example of  showing that our jobs as admin staff do not go unnoticed.

Thanks Val and Burt!!!

No comments: