Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tomorrow....

Oh my.  Tomorrow is December First.

We are attempting to keep our gifts down to a somewhat minimal.  I think I'd rather take time with the family to play games, make pull-taffy (we've never done it before), or to go for some walks and coffees and see a few movies and drink a whole whack of tea with shortbread, of course than spend a lot of cash we don't have!  Perhaps we could have some kind of bread making day, where son teaches me the finer points of kneading.  All of these things are much more fun to do together, rather than alone.

We had a fund raiser at work today.  I sent an email out for everyone to put in a loonie to pay for a Christmas tree to be put up in our second floor office (as opposed to Jed, the Fir, in the Forest Center foyer on the main floor).  There were a few screeches and moans and complaints, be they ever-so-faint, but all in all, the folks are coming through with the cash.  In the morning we shall have a tree all up and standing ready to decorate....because Bruce is very kind and will get a tree from a local grower this evening...and with the cash we raised, I shall pay him back in the morning.  It's all good.  I do feel sorry though, for our poor government, who doesn't see fit to purchase a real tree for the main Forestry Office of the whole province.  But the folks in our office are bigger than that...they have shown how to come through in a crunch.  I think though perhaps my next fund raiser should be for the Finance Department.  We shall think on that.

This evening we held worship practice.  I shall lead the Sunday Service this week and we shall begin with a Christmas Carol, "O Little Town of Bethlehem"...how still we see thee lie, above thy deep and dreamless sleep, the silent stars go by....." followed by the lighting of the Advent Candle of Peace.  This week we will also celebrate Communion....."to remember Christ's death, until he comes again".  After church we will have a celebratory luncheon together with a "mortgage burning" ceremony following plus a power point presentation of some memorable pictures of when Gateway Covenant Church was just a babe.

Lots happening.  I'm glad to report that my back is beginning the slow process of being healed.  A very good feeling indeed.

Here are a few pictures of our apartment all lit up....not quite finished decorating yet, but nearly...and then the tree will come. 
The two red lantern lights above....this is their 38th year of
holding a place on one of our walls. 
They're old, falling apart a bit, but it wouldn't seem
like Christmas without them.


Here are the pictures I managed to get up on our walls too.


I'm gearing up for a good nights sleep....tired......

No comments: