Saturday, August 27, 2011

"The Help"...

The girls and I went to the movie "The Help", this afternoon.  A story of courage, determination and the old south.  The south when "the help" (African American women) raised and cared for their employers children, cooked, cleaned, laundered and in general, ran the home while the privileged "white folk" played bridge, learned how to be condescending from their mothers, and neglected to treat "the help" as fellow citizens in the human race....the '50's and '60's in the U.S. of A.

In some respects, we have come a long way.  But I suppose as long as there is bigotry and intolerance, injustices will continue long into the future and will become a part of history that no one really wants to talk about or take responsibility for.  I believe the same things apply here in Canada!!!!  We have a problem.  A real honest problem with inequality...in every sector of our economy and culture.  When one group of people get treated differently...better or worse.....then we have injustice and inequality.  Who will address these issues?  Who will have the courage to stand up and say that "no, we are all in this country together...we need to live...together, not some of us off into little portions all sectioned off where we live in poverty, misery and ignorance".  There is inequality amongst white people.  There is inequality amongst First Nations people and everyone else that isn't "like us"!  That shouldn't be.  It doesn't have to be.  It needs to be addressed.  Will politicians take on this task.  Hardly.  Will we go about in our own little groups complaining and watching from the outside and not making any decisive decisions about anything at all?  Probably.  But we know that doesn't change anything.

Yes, Canada has a problem...and Saskatchewan....and Prince Albert....just like the U.S. and probably 90% of the the earth's population.

It takes a great deal of courage to change the world....even the world right around our neighborhoods.  I like to think I could be one of those people and perhaps if my attitude changes, I could be.

The movie today made me at least revisit our current situation...right here in P.A.  How can I be different from what I am currently?  How can I be a positive influence instead of a negative one?  I think I know the answers...I just need those answers to find their place deeply in my heart.  Then I will know that I can make a difference.

I think it was a terrific movie!  Should you get the opportunity to see it, please do.

No comments: