Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Good times...

We celebrated the first Sunday in Advent....the Sunday of Hope.  Candles were lit.  Carols were sung.  Music wafted through the sanctuary like a sweet smelling offering to Jesus, the greatest example of hope that is offered to this hurting world. He showed us a way to live....and he left it to us as to whether we would follow.

In the evening, the youth of our church hosted everyone in a short program, followed by delicious desserts and games of skill:)  It was a full day....so full, I think it all did me in (as the saying goes).

Advent is also a season for preparation.....preparing our hearts and minds for the coming of Christ into the world.  His life reflected light....and the darkness has not been able to put that light out.  So, in preparation for the coming of Jesus into my own life, I have decided to take some time for fasting and praying and thinking and reflecting.  Our senses are heightened after a certain point in a fast, when that "hunger pang" period of time is diminished and a time of "awareness" begins to take over.  It is very interesting to be a part of that process.  I'm not sure of the physiological aspects of it, but mentally and spiritually it becomes an intense time of "seeing" more clearly.  It seems as if we can take on more of our friends hurts and burdens and take them as our own.  It becomes a time of easily asking for forgiveness and accepting it, where we are able to love without judgment. It changes me on the inside.  I know I don't constantly reflect those changes outwardly, but at least they are evident where God sees.  There is so much more changing I must make and realizing that keeps me in a state of humility of what God has done for me and of the things that need revamping....which, after the last few days, I realize are many...

Here are a few pictures of my weekend.  First, there was a birthday party.....

Then the Advent Program happened in the evening...
Lin spoke about the Inkeeper in Bethlehem...

Virginia played devil's advocate....put up more lights,
buy more stuff, etc. etc.

All in all, we had a lot of fun and the food was most excellent!!!

No comments: