Thursday, November 3, 2011

Worth a lot more...

Yep, I got a 45 cent per hour pay increase, not to mention my new capped tooth will be gold-filled.

I'm going to be worth a lot of money at this rate.

I just hope my children don't count on much financial gain after we've left this old earth.  Husband and I figured our mouths will be worth a lot more than all of our possessions put together.  A bit scary to think of but a harsh reality of life.

Just goes to show you how much we depend on material wealth.  If we have loads of cash to hand over to the next generation, then we're considered good solid people.  If we don't have that kind of cash, we're considered duds.

But I would like to change that perception, right here and now.  We may not leave our kids a great or even a good amount of money when we die but we hopefully have left our children the things that money can't buy....memories (hopefully good ones), appreciation of the gifts we've been given, a good sense of who we are as people, and hopefully a faith that will one day sustain us in our time of need.  Can't buy those things.

So, low-income old age...here we come.  Perhaps not having a lot of money will put our children in good stead as they progress in life too.  You learn lessons of trust when you don't always depend on the god of money. God is their provider and I believe they have learned that.

Nite all.  Even if we aren't in the 61% of Canadians who will have a winter in the "south", we're content with what we have....and by many people's standards, that's a whole load of stuff.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Well, if I'm content to be relatively unwealthy, it seems unfair to expect it from you, plus it would harm my hobo-chic image...

And yes, what you've given and continue to give is much more valuable than money:)

Thank you!

Sharon Kent said...

The hobo-chic image is something I'm attempting to recognize as being a part of who you are, but hey, if you're OK with it, I am too:)

Thanks for giving us the many invaluable things of life as well. We are proud of what you have become and are becoming.

And as the famous song puts it: "Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love."