Saturday, December 3, 2011

Just breathe....

A cough began at work yesterday mid-afternoon.  Just a cough...cough...cough.....

No runny nose, fever, sore throat, sweating....just a cough....cough.....cough....cough....

Not sure what that was about really, other than it kept up it's pace all through the evening.  Managed to get to bed with a bit of cough....cough....cough....medicine and I slept well - until 1:43 AM!!!!

I kind of scared myself...me with my claustrophobic tendencies and all.  I awoke with a start.  Tried hard to catch my breath and the more I tried the more I panicked.  So, I got up quickly and began walking and taking slow deliberate breaths, trying to get air into my wind pipe.  I was pretty successful in that except I felt it wasn't what it should be.  The air just wasn't going in like it should and my cough turned into a fierce mechanical-sounding bark.  And the more I coughed, the more difficult I found it to breathe.  I new it wouldn't be prudent to drive myself to the emergency room, so I woke up my poor sound asleep man.  Off we went to the hospital at 2:15 AM.  And my day ahead had been planned out beautifully but on the way to the hospital, I knew those plans would not come to fruition.  No breakfast out with husband, no ringing Salvation Army bells at Superstore with husband, no 90th birthday party at Amy's on Second, no shopping, no nothing. 

Disappointing.

The ER nurse got me on some oxygen, then some Ventelin, next an X-ray and the doctor gave me some pills and refills for my puffers.  Back home to bed and breathing much better.  We slept until 11:15AM!!!!

I stayed in bed for most of the day and have begun to feel somewhat better.  But I have never had bronchitis come on that fast in my entire life!!!  Ten hours from a tiny cough to almost not breathing .

Thank God for nurses and doctors who care for us!  I appreciate them!!!

Not to mention husbands that take mid-night trips to emergency rooms with their wives...YAY!!!

My man outdid himself today and took over many of my responsibilities....ringing those bells for two hours, getting Communion ready for tomorrow's service, etc. etc. etc.  He's a good man, yes he is!!!!

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Glad you're starting to feel better:) Good thing for 'team work'!