Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sittin' on the dock of the bay....

wastin' time.....that's what it appears I'm doing for the most part.  Yesterday was a fishing day of all days and our 44th anniversary too!  It was exciting, to say the least.

We figured we would go out and fish the day away yesterday as we have so many anniversaries before.  Headed for the Heart Lakes where we decided to fish with worms as bait.  Well, that didn't go off well to begin with.  WORMS???????  Never before have I fished with anything live on the end of my line!!!  But being our anniversary and all, I figured I'd make the husband feel good by going along with the plan.

An hour or so into this with the fish eating all the bait and us getting nothing but a lot of frustration, I took the bull by the horn....not Ken....and had had enough of that live stuff.  Give me a good old spoon...yellow and black to be exact.  Wham!!!! We started to reel in a few little ones....Jacks of course.  Not many but I managed an 11 pounder in the third Heart Lake.

After a lot of that we decided to head for the big lake.....Crean.....and go to our old favorite spot, Jackfish Bay.  We hadn't been too successful there in quite a while but hey, in those years, the little gaffers must do nothing buy get bigger and bigger as the years. progress.

Husband said when he and Randy went the other day, they fished into the weeds and they caught a few there.  So that is what we did.  Hit the weeds and got three right away...all little fellows.  I got me to thinkin'......if all those little guys are in the weeds, the big suckers must be out in the middle of the bay just crusisin' around lookin' for yellow and black spoons to eat. 

So....whoooooossssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I flung that hook a long ways into the middle of the bay.  Two turns of the reel and whaaaaaackkkkkk...he struck like a lightening bolt and I held on for the ride of my life....me with tendinitis and all.  I knew I should have brought that dang support piece...oh well, too late for that now.  I was caught in a battle royal with a fish I had no clue as to it's size....only by the feel.  I could tell he was a whopper.  I reeled and reeled and reeled and then he'd take off like hell was on his heels...maybe he knew it really was.  Anyway, away went the line....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....and I'd try reeling again.  My wrists strained and my biceps thought they were in Olympic trials but I pressed onward not letting them know that they were helping me get the biggest fish ever!!!! 

I finally could see something on top of the water slowly moving towards the boat....weeds....but under those weeds was the fellow I was looking for.  I was yelling to Ken that I didn't think I could go any further as my arms were ready to render themselves useless, as opposed to being some sort of bionic super hero's just moments ago.  He was getting closer and I was losing my grip....but I couldn't let go, just couldn't.  It was a battle to the death!  (I'm reading the Hunger Games).  So I finally gave up the ghost....momentarily...and let Ken have a go at reeling and I took hold of the net.  Be danged if the beast didn't wrap himself around the anchor rope when he got up to the boat.  Ken pulled off the weeds that the creature had attempted to wrap himself in and gave the rod back to me so he could get him around the rope.  I could see him clearly....BIG...HUGE....ENORMOUS....way out of my comfort zone for fish catching, but I wouldn't let him go...for anything.  He got right up to the boat and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......away he went again.  I held on like there was no tomorrow, fighting woman against beast, wondering if I could win or leave it up to him to flip off the hook and leave me in the dust.  I persevered...closer and closer.  Ken had the net ready in the water, first one side and then the other...into the water it would go ready to scoop up the devil incarnate.  We were both ouuuuuing and ahhhhhing..... when scoop....up he came into the net, where Ken dragged him overboard.  Now THAT was some fish!!!  He wouldn't fit into the live well so we had to do him in right then and there.  A horrid death but he will make us some fine eating in the midst of a cold Saskatchewan winter.  He was close to 18 pounds and I'm sure I'll never catch anything like that again....nor do my wrists want to try.

So, that's what I've been up to.  I'll have pictures to prove my story just as soon as I download them.

Yep, I'm enjoying the hot weather too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your writing... what a story

Tracy said...

That was one battle and a half, how exciting.

Corinne said...

Way to go Sharon, that is a whopper of a fish. Enjoy the fish fry!

Maureen said...

Exciting!!! I've never caught anything big; must be a thrill!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

Always remember what John Lennon said - time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

Cute as a Button

Linea said...

Yep, pictures are needed! Glad you are having a good holiday.

Matthew said...

Well, I was certainly on the edge of my seat! Looking forward to the pictures:)