Saturday, September 29, 2007

I remember.

It was 33 years ago about now - 9:30 pm when I said good-bye to my brother, Dale, for the last time on this earth. We don't know when that moment will be, do we.

Had I known, I would have said so much more.......like how much I loved him and how important he was to me. I would have hugged him tightly, for a long, long time and looked into his eyes, so I would never forget them - their blueness, and their sincerity and their gentleness. I would have stroked his hair and held his hand and kissed his cheek.
I would have.

But life doesn't always give us those opportunities. So, I hugged him quickly, thanked him for the great guitar playing that night as he played and sang the song,
"Lift Jesus higher, lift Jesus higher,
Lift him up for the world to see.
He said, "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me".
We waved as he went out the church door, guitar in hand, huge smile on his face..........and he was gone.

The following morning, September 30th at 9:30 his heart gave out and he died.....died as he was teaching a grade 11 English class.

Today, 33 years later, I went to visit his grave. And Dad's and Mom's as well, right there beside his. It was cold. Bitterly cold. Cemeteries always seem to be that way. I swept around each head stone, took away the old flowers and replaced them with some pretty, new ones for the winter months ahead, as I do every year. My dear Aunt was with me...........she helped with the sweeping and remembered her brother, my Dad.

The rain began to fall, washing the head stones and mixing with my tears.

It's a long time to miss someone......but I know it won't be all that long before we see one another again. Heaven will be ever-go-grand.

Peace to his memory.......Frederick Dale Benson - December 17, 1952 - September 30, 1974.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you the other day, and wondering when The Day was.

Good memories are good things, blessings from God even.

Indeed, Peace to his memory, and peace to your heart.

Sharon Kent said...

Thanks, Randall.