Monday, October 1, 2007

I'm reconsidering my comfort.

Remember a few posts ago I spoke about this wonderful 3 inch memory foam mattress? And now I can't get rid of this terrible sinus infection/cold. I'm beginning to think these two are connected.

I read a great deal on the Internet about these foam things and how many of them have toxic fumes that make people ill in varying degrees - from nausea to severe headaches to sinusitis and other maladies.

I came home and tossed the thing into the basement and the foam pillow followed.

I've been waking up with the smell of that foam in my nostrils, kind of like paint thinner or something. Horrible.

So, ya, I gave my new ever-so-soft foam bed the old heave-ho.

Husband doesn't know yet. Guess he will when he returns.

Now getting that baby down into the basement by myself was something but it wasn't as difficult as turning over the old mattress by myself! That's one heavy beast! But it had to be done as the smell had permeated the mattress AND sheets and I couldn't stand one more night with those fumes!!!

I started pushing the old mattress then I grabbed it from the other side and pulled vigorously.

I found I was trapped in the corner of the bedroom for a few minutes until I sized up the situation from my little corner and then went at it full tilt......which is what I knew I had to do. I managed to stand it up on it's side, pull the one side down and grab the end before it hit the floor. It nearly was me that hit the floor. I did manage to get the one corner barely on the box spring. A mighty chore it was but I persevered until it was sitting pretty on top of the frame.

We'll see where this goes from here.

Any of you out there have a story to tell about how a bed has made you sick? I'd be interested in hearing.........

How can they sell this kind of stuff anyway?

I think, if I can repack the thing back into it's 5' x 2' x 3' box, it will be on it's way back to the store from which it came.

If you have a spare Cryovac machine sitting around, let me know, otherwise it may take a while.

3 comments:

Linea said...

I would think it should not have fumes! I wonder if it is a latex product and if you may be sensitive to latex. People who are really sensitive to latex talk of being able to smell it.

Whatever the case, hope you get better soon.

See you tomorrow if you are well?

Anonymous said...

Did you take it back?

Sharon Kent said...

I'm giving the beast a second chance but it has to wait it out in the basement, alone.......for at least another 2 weeks.

If I can smell anything coming from it, well, we'll just keep it for, shall we say, "special guests".

Besides, no one has offered their Kryovac machine!