Saturday, November 24, 2007

Why do I give at Christmas?

Good question. I was thinking about that today. Of course, I give to those I love and Christmas IS about love, after all. It's all about God loving us enough to give us his only son........ to be born as one of us, humbly and humanly, to be born to do an extra-ordinary thing.......to offer grace to a bunch of unruly, unforgiving, unrighteous people.

So, getting back to my question - "why do I give at Christmas?".....it's because I've been shown by the Son of God, the one and the same King of Kings that was born in that un-Godly stable in Bethlehem of Judea, that giving is a good thing. Giving can be a miracle. Giving shows others what God's grace looks like. Giving because Christ looked upon the world and loved it enough to give all he had.....his life.

I don't pretend to be able to give a gift like that. But He taught me that when I give with that kind of love, the kind that overlooks faults, that loves unconditionally, that loves another because they are worthy of being loved as a human being, then I am doing what I was called to do as a Christian.

This Christmas I want to give.........because He has given. It just seems like a good reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon - you truely are an inspiration in giving/showing love, thereofore showing Gods grace. For that I am thankful to you. Thankyou for your kindness you show to me and others daily. I do appreciate it. I was just thinking this morn - I can't wait to bring my parents to work - you will be the first one I introduce them to - as you have guided me more in five years than you will ever know. I know they will thank you for that and love you for that, just as I do.

Sharon Kent said...

I am humbled......thank you.