Sunday, January 13, 2008

Moving.

Aren't emotions strange and wonderful things.

Funny how they're all tied up with our physical bodies...our eyes, nose, heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, stomach, skin, ears, muscles, etc.

If I were a doctor, I think I would find that totally fascinating to study.

But our "spirit" is right in there too, getting involved with what's going on.

Not only that, God's spirit seems to be the guiding force of our emotions a lot of the time. It tells us things and shows us things.....things that somehow connect with our emotions.

When God is trying to tell me something, he usually uses the part of me that will get my attention, and for me, that is usually my heart and my emotions that are all too often associated with it.

Today, it was all of that. When Pastor Randall told the story of Hannah asking God for a son and promising God that if she was given a son, she would give him while he was still very young, to be presented and offered into the priesthood.....and so it all was......well, that story had tears streaming down my cheeks. What kind of faith would that be? How could she have given him up...even after promising God she would do it?

I think it was not only faith that allowed her to do that, it was love...a love for her God. He saw to it that what she had asked for, was given to her in a son.....Samuel. How faithful God was to her. How faithful she was to fulfill her promise to God in return, as well.

To me, the story was so very moving.

So, today my spirit had a workout. I put myself in Hannah's place....and wondered. I wondered if when push came to shove, would I have enough faith to believe that what God had in store for me was the best possible outcome. Would I follow his path?

Some days, I think I would.

It's on those other days God, when I become faithless, that I need your voice speaking to my spirit saying, "come, follow me".................

1 comment:

Shauna Bennett said...

I'm beginning to appreciate the way God uses the Spirit and our emotions. I've been fighting the "feel" factor for a long time, and just letting myself be, but this weeks been different. It's been nice sitting back and allowing the Spirit to move me through conversations, Scripture, family and sermons. It sure gets tiring keeping my guard up, against emotions, but it's also tiring "feeling" and being moved all the time. I rest in God's arms and truth that He will sustain me and speak to me. I love that He speaks to each of us so differently, so perfectly, so individual. It is a true personal relationship.

There's my thoughts for the night! Love to read yours as always! :)