Monday, January 14, 2008

World Day of Prayer?

A friend asked me to help plan this annual event, which will be hosted this year by our church - Gateway Covenant. If it were anyone else, I most likely would have declined.

I have been involved with this event in previous years. I have been it's leader.

The last one I attended was at Messiah Lutheran Church.......I think.

Since then, I have often wondered what on earth we are doing with this World Day of Prayer.

What are our motives? What exactly is it that we want God to do? Why do we attend (or not attend) this event? Will gathering various churches together to read through a liturgical prayer booklet change the outcome of the people of Guyana? Do we really desire in our hearts for God to hear us in our prayer for this country and act? Do those who attend really care or are they there only to attend a social function....a "ladies day out" as it were?

I guess those questions really aren't up to me to answer. But they are questions I raise within myself. Honest questions. Questions that most likely will not be presented to the "general Christian public". I do think that if our country were in such a position that we no longer had the freedom to worship or gather together as a Christian group, we may appreciate that kind of valuable time together with other Christians. We would make it valuable. We would hunger more for His Spirit.

As the saying goes....."you don't miss the water, 'til the well runs dry".

So far, I have had a wonderful opportunity to work with a dear friend to plan this event. To me, I think probably that will be the highlight of World Day of Prayer 2008....of course, perhaps God has other plans..............

No comments: