Saturday, January 19, 2008

What's in a smile?

Husband and I were scurrying through Sears today. I glanced over and saw an elderly gentleman looking my way. He had a smile on his face. I slowed down a bit to see him a little more clearly.

I recognized him. From that smile, I recognized him. He had wavy, silvery hair, wrinkles that come with living a long life and a smile that you could never forget. I think the last time I saw this man was something like over 40 years ago.

I worked for a year after high school at Eaton's, the up-scale Canadian department store of the day. He worked in the shoe department.

I don't remember his name. I do remember his smile. I was a shy 17 year old who lacked the confidence needed to work with the public. He was an "older" gentleman in his 40's who was gracious, helpful and sincere. He smiled all the time....and sold a lot of shoes!

When I saw him today, for what was all of 10 seconds, I remembered as I passed him, how that smile had been a gracious gift he offered to everyone around him. Most likely he didn't realize what it did for folks, but he just seemed to use what God had given him to make others feel special and worthy.

I spoke to husband about him. We talked about smiles and what they can be to people.

A smile can change someone else's countenance. It can allow someone else to feel a little bit better. When you see one, it helps folks to think a little more positively, instead of negatively. When you give one, it can also be a sign of receptivity.....of allowing someone else into your life because it sure won't turn folks away from you.

......unless it's a "heh heh heh" kind of smile. Stay away from those ones!

So, smile! Show those teeth, whether they're crooked, fake or chipped.

Oh, and don't forget to thank your dentist. He/she will be ever-so-grateful that you did!

As an afterthought....I think Jesus must have smiled quite a bit. Very few folks were unhappy when they were around him........unless he spoke about something that made them feel uncomfortable........like selling all they had and giving that money to the poor..........but he wouldn't have been smiling then, would he?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At CBC, a friend and I tried to smile for as long as we could, through morning chapel and into our first period class.

Our cheeks were hurting by the time we quit, but honestly we felt a lot happier!

There is something profound and significant about the connection between the spiritual and the physical.

Sharon Kent said...

I sure would love to have seen that smile-a-thon. Maybe we should have more of those. I

have done that actually, smiled at folks as I passed by them, even if I didn't know them and you know, most smiled back!