Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm just a red neck.

I'm walking with Lauralea these days ( in spirit) as she is scheduled for surgery....then she's canceled, then she's on......then she's off..........now she's on again. Not enough hospital beds.

So, my next observation....duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.......would be, NO BEDS = NOT GOOD!!!

Maybe I'm just one of those, you know, ignorant red necks, who really don't know much about the hierarchies of surgical evaluations....like who goes when and who gets bumped out and who gets to stay. We must really be in dire straits here.

I was wondering what would happen here in town if a huge disaster befell us (and it could happen you know), and how we would manage if our hospital here was full to capacity. Not many other hospitals in outlying regions any more - where would those folks go if they were say, bleeding to death or overcome with some kind of fumes.........hundreds of people. Things like this do happen folks but we wouldn't even be able to put them into the one hospital we do have if it were full already.

And being the ignorant red neck from the prairies that I am, it just appears that there is so much more money spent in towns and cities further to the east..........like Ontario......big money, huge money, spent on various lovely things that we don't have much of out here in the middle of nowhere. Money for great hospitals and artsy kinds of buildings and all that stuff. I think we need more money out here from down there. I think we need to dig a nice big ditch from Ottawa to P.A. where cash would just flow at a slow even pace, nothing too fast, we don't want to appear greedy, just so we could have things like, more beds for sick folks, which in turn, may mean hiring more doctors and nurses...............of course, I'm just an ignorant red neck, don't forget. Don't know much about these kinds of things.......

But, someone, somewhere needs one big kick in the pants, to my way 'a thinkin'...........

Come spring, I'm getting out my trusty shovel.......join me? I've never tried ditch diggin'.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... I have it on good Dr.L.L. authority that there is an epidemic plan in place. Something like a big warehouse across the river ready to house hundreds of flu sufferers when the big pandemic hits. And, I guess, for the record, the first time I was cancelled, bed shortage was cited, but the second time it was "trouble in the OR". So, I'm thinking that being the last one on the roster for the day, I was the one who was bumped. Next time (rescheduled, finally I hope! for next Thursday, 14th) I'm to be the first one in so there's less likelihood of being bumped.

: )

But I get to come to the potluck on Sunday!

Sharon Kent said...

Ya, I was attempting to get some sympathy from someone, somewhere for more cash towards our health system. I've heard too, about that warehouse thing but being short of doctors and nurses would be another kind of crisis.

Glad you're on for the 14th. A 'love'ly day for surgery :-(

Linea said...

I think one of our biggest shortages is in personnel - nurses, or staff, etc. We need our children to train in these areas. We need God to call them to work in areas where his compassion can be shared. IMHO.