Sunday, April 20, 2008

A thought to ponder.

I've been thinking about this all week because of certain circumstances over the course of the last several days.

When we are young and have our children all around us, under foot, in our bath tubs, hanging from our legs, around our shoulders, off one arm, in our beds in the middle of the night (at the very least expected times!!!), and generally everywhere we are, we say to ourselves (and I specifically remembering saying this out loud) "I can hardly wait until the time comes when you're grown up and on your own so I'll have a few minutes to myself!!!"

We want it different. We want peace. We want a house that doesn't always look like it's been battered by a hurricane. We want solitude.

That was 20 years ago.

The tables have turned.

Now I'm saying "I can hardly wait until the time comes when son and daughter come home, now that they're both grown up and on their own, so I'll have a few minutes with them."

It's all in our perspective, isn't it? A shift in my perspective took place and I now find myself at the other end of the spectrum......looking back.

Are we ever truly satisfied with life and children and spouses and friends and jobs and (fill in the blank)? I have found the only true satisfaction comes from God and what he offers me. Even my husband or my children can't quench that thirst or satisfy that hunger.

Isaiah 55:1-3 says:

"Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David."


Now THAT'S what I call a satisfied life! And it doesn't cost a thing. God offers it in the midst of all our wishing for this and wanting that and hoping for life to be different or better or more meaningful.........all we have to do is receive this gift. Free. Simple. Satisfying.

No comments: