Saturday, December 13, 2008

Of all days....





Last evening the youth were over to our place to do "stuff" and see our guest "Hillary". I initiated them also to the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life"...the old black and white Christmas movie. Some of them hadn't seen it, so hey, what better place to watch their very first "I.A.W.L." than our place. I'm sure it will be one of their memorable moments of their youthful teen years.


But today was St. Lucia Day at the Anderson home....AND I FORGOT MY CAMERA. That was not good. So many artistic possibilities with the saffron buns, the peppercocka (sp?), various cheeses plus hot apple cider and Swedish coffee....and I missed them all.


Anna, the granddaughter, once again adorned the headdress of holly and flaming candles while she sang "Santa Lucia"....with Mom and Grandma standing closely by in case of emergency. She's quite an old hand at it now at 15 and looked very natural in her white gown with red sash.


I can't believe I forgot my camera!!!!


The rest of the day, between visiting with our guest, was spent doing a bit more baking Christmas shortbread, lemon squares and another batch of fruit croissants in the fridge ready for rolling out tomorrow.


Third Sunday in Advent tomorrow will see us lighting the candle of Joy. I look forward to it.


Oh God, let Joy come to your people. Help us to find reasons to be joyful when we are sad and depressed and alone.
Help us to look beyond ourselves, to the bigger picture..... of angels singing and proclaiming to a bunch of sheep herders in a field, of a young mother giving birth to her first born son and wrapping him in swaddling clothes and laying him in a manger.....because there was no room for them in the inn.
Help us find joy in the story of your birth.

1 comment:

Mr. C.C. said...

Again I say that it is good a youth group is still happening in some way.

Corey looks like Jay Malinowski from the group Bedouin Soundclash.

You are just like my aunt doing all this baking.