Friday, January 9, 2009

I need to learn something....






Well, here we are, in the grip of winter. Snow piled upon snow. Snow everywhere.
And cold. Really cold.
So, as I was watching one of my favorite channels this morning, "The Weather Network", I heard one of the announcers say "And it's only 18 more weeks folks!!!"
It grabbed my attention.
I figured I was the only person with a huge countdown going on every year. With me, of course, it's Christmas. I always put my little sign up on the wall at work stating that it's only "110 days 'til Christmas".
Well, I listened to her. She said that we should be working our way quickly through winter since it's only 18 weeks until the May long weekend!!
I figured I was just as bad as she was in wishing away my life in terms of wanting something else, something more, something different from what I have right now.
No wonder my life seems to be running faster than a herd of flees....tic...tic....tic.....
I keep wanting winter to be over so spring can come.
I want spring to be over so summer can come and we can go on vacation.
Hurry up with fall already. I want winter, with Christmas, to be here.
Notice I didn't even include wanting fall to come. I don't like fall to begin with.
So, this is it folks. I need to start appreciating every season and not wishing it away. Like my own life too. When I experience good things, I need to appreciate them and not complain about anything. Why would I complain anyway??? And when not-so-good times come, I need also to learn from those times and not wish them away like they are going to destroy me. One day, they will destroy me..........and you........when we die. But until then, I need to learn that lesson. To appreciate all things that are handed to me and learn something from them.
Today it's cold. At least I'm healthy. I have a home and a husband and family and food and a job and 2 vehicles and books and more clothing than I need and a computer and phones and glasses so I can see and good friends...........see what I mean. I need to learn to appreciate today and everything in it. Everything.
So, here's to TODAY!!!
Cheers! (although it may take me a lifetime to learn this lesson, I say to myself....)

No comments: