Wednesday, February 11, 2009

'da luuuuuuv week....Part III

So, we're talking about love this week....from I Corinthians 13.

Here are the next few verses regarding Love:

"Doesn't force itself on others, isn't always "me first," doesn't fly off the handle"

Children want what they want when they want it and it usually involves getting it before anyone else. As we mature and grow up we begin to learn about letting others play with our toys and how it's okay to let someone else be first or to at least get a turn.

Then we grow up.

Am I any different than when I was a child? I think I'm quite a bit better....but there are times when I want to be first, I want to express my thoughts first, I want people to hear what I have to say....first. I'm learning as I go that expressing oneself first, usually isn't the route to go. I'm learning that I need to hear what others have to say before I spout off my thoughts. I'm learning that it really is more important to let someone else be heard first (because, actually when you hear others first, you can form a more honest opinion). And forcing itself on others, well, I've seen that happen....and I may have done it a time or ten myself. We want ourselves to be noticed, forcefully or otherwise. We may do it by strolling into a group of people and totally changing the subject to fit ourselves, and become totally rude and obnoxious to everyone else in the process.

NO!!! None of that is real Love.

And the "flying off the handle" thingy. There are some things that really tick me off, you know? When I, or others are insensitive to someone else. That really gets me goin'. Sometimes it's rude drivers. Other times it's husband. Telemarketers who think they know you. All these silly little things get me flying off to some distant planet.

THAT'S not love either.

I need to learn to act out God's love daily......I just need to remember my childhood lessons:
To let my friends play first in the sand box and;
to not hit them over the head with my shovel when they tick me off.

No comments: