Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day off?

Another not-quite-close-enough encounter with Mr. Jay.
Tall shadows of winter.
The back door awaits this year's Christmas decorations.



The front door Christmas decorations were put up
with only a few minor hitches....
My extra day off began at 7:23 a.m.
Groggily..."Hello???"
For the 89th time in a month..."Hi, is Clinton there?"
Disgusted..."No, as I've said before, Clinton does not live here!!!"
And under my breath after I hung up...."It's my day off, for Pete's sake...how can they dial the same wrong number for the 89th time ON MY DAY OFF!!!!!!!????"
OK. Got that out of the way. Doze for another hour.
Up and out the door by 10:30 a.m. to A&W for coffee. Chat away with husband.
"Let's look for plant ladders!", says I. "The climbing plants at work need somewhere to go. I need to get them a little ladder so at least they'll look like they're getting some exercise! They will be so much healthier!"
Ever try to find anything "plant-ish" a month and a half before Christmas?
N O P L A N T L A D D E R S.......we'll try Peavy Mart tomorrow.
"Let's get the car washed!! It looks like a grey vehicle with little red spots like measles!".
Husband agrees. Nine cars waiting in line to be washed. We'll wash later.
"Let's get up the outdoor Christmas lights then....", says I, with a great deal of fear and trembling.
Down come the boxes from the loft of the garage. Pick up the thingys that allow them to blink at intervals, some extension cords, pliers, little clippy tie things to hold everything in place.....and big smiles on our faces, to get things in the right Christian Christmas spirit.
Which garland goes where? Which lights go where?
"I shall put on the garland...down the step railings and you, dear, can put the lights around the garland once I get it up", says I.
I notice little bits of mumbling now and then what I believe to be from husbands lips. All I said was that I think garland needs to go around the top of the door frame!
"We've never had it around the door frame before!!!"
"Oh yes we have...... and if we haven't had it there before, then I think it's about time we had some there now!"
"Can you come and hold these lights then!!", husband exasperatingly expresses, as he teeters on the top step of the ladder. Walking up the steps I grab hold of what I thought were said lights, but apparently not.....
I heard police sirens come down the avenue. Perhaps the neighbors were tuned into our conversation regarding lights and hammers and a gun (staple gun, of course). When one only gets a partial conversation, one can come to all kinds of conclusions.
I ran in the house though when I heard the sirens coming.


Anyway, this evening, all is calm....all is bright.

I think it was a terrific idea to leave the back door decorations 'til next week.

1 comment:

Mark said...

So this is weird. I keep getting telemarketer calls that start "Hi, is Clinton there." (I just got one) So I googled the phrase to see if there's anything that can be done or if others have the same issue. And this is the only one that pops up and I looked at the date and it's 10 years to the date of this post. Apparently this ruse has worked for a decade.