Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lover & Warrior....

My dad - Philip Benson - 23 yrs. old, single, handsome
Finding the love of his life - Patricia - in 1937
(picture taken on Prince Albert train bridge)

Dad joined the army, married my mother
and had their honeymoon while dad was on leave in Toronto.

Tom Benson, dad's younger brother, joined the RAF
but too young to go overseas, stayed in Canada for flight school.

A Christmas gift of writing paper in a leather-bound case
to Phil with love from Pat and son, Garry.

Dad in allied tank. Although trained for tank action,
he ended up in the 18th Armoured Reconnaissance Division,
'C' Squadron - Special Commandos Unit , Communications.
His group of buddies. The ones with "x's" were those
killed in action. Dad is second from right, top row.

Mom's last letter to dad overseas, as she
awaits his arrival after 3 and a half long years of waiting.

Dad joined the XII Manitoba Dragoons in 1941 perhaps knowing
he would leave his dear wife to live with her parents, then living
in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.
Today we spent 2 hours at the P.A. Armoury
remembering the sacrifices and praying for peace
in a world of continual war.
That was my father's life in a nutshell. He lived, he loved, he fought for democracy and peace and died a very loved man in April, 1986.
May God bless his memory and all those whose lives were and continue to be affected by the wars of men.

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Loved seeing the pictures and letters. My granny and grandpa burned their letters after the war (her little sister kept pulling them out of the fire and reading and giggling). Granny said that they wished they hadn't in the end.

And I'm glad you were at the service today. I would've liked to have been there -- to hear Grandpa's name said and laid a wreath. My mom said the hardest part was when they sang "Abide with Me" which is a song Grandpa had specifically picked for his funeral. (Must stop typing, or I will start crying again...)

Sharon Kent said...

Yes, Dixie. There were many familiar names read out...names of my parents friends and parents of my friends too. There were children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren laying wreaths in memory of their loved ones.

A moving time, to be sure.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Very interesting.
I'm a french historian, and I'm looking for every information I can find on the 12th Manitoba Dragoons.
If you wanna contact me, please do it on : little_black_devil_fred@hotmail.com