Monday, November 9, 2009

France, Holland, Belgium...

My father served with the XII Manitoba Dragoons during the 2nd World War.

He fought in France, Holland and Belgium...years of his life that were offered up as a sacrifice.

I wonder if anyone these days even thinks about that and remembers not so much the war and its battles but the decision to serve their country. We are so bent on keeping war at a distance, which is OK with me but there are times when some things are worth fighting for. Ya, I know. Many folks reading this will disagree with me on that one. Two things come to mind that are worth keeping in tact.....love is one thing....and so is peace.

I read a bit of some accounts of folks who lived in Holland when my father's regiment came to free them...their entire country, actually. He said it was a day like no other he had ever experienced. People were set free! Even in their months of starvation, it was a time of celebration. I like to remember how my father was an integral part in the freedom process of not only Holland but France and Belgium as well. Here is a map of Holland and I recall him speaking of some of these places.

http://www.map-of-netherlands.co.uk/images/noord-holland.gif

I shall remember the word "sacrifice" this week.....and remember too, the sacrifice Christ made to set us free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, I like to think of myself as a "peacemaker", however, I do remember those loved ones who gave their lives so that we may have a peaceful country. Cheers

Sharon Kent said...

I like to think that of myself too, actually.....being a peacemaker.

But remembering sacrifice is important because it is that part of our past that gave us the option to remember....or NOT. It's called freedom.

Cheers to you too, anonymous.