Monday, August 2, 2010

They're just things....

So, I'm not going to get all sappy about saying good-bye to them.  But a few of them have graced our table since I was a very little girl...and tables before I even existed.  Some held juice, others puddings and some fine teas.  They have heard Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving blessings and conversations around those tables for several generations now.  A few have hosted wedding showers and high teas and all who managed to drink from them were delighted with their exquisiteness.  So delicate, one can see right through them.

I decided it was time to share what had been given to me.  Space at our new place will be at a premium so I figured now would be a great time to let these fine pieces go to my friends whom I know would make use of them and find a place for them. 

This one was sent to my grandmother from her mother-in-law in England.  My mother remembers her getting it one Christmas...all wrapped up in many, many layers of paper and straw in a huge box.  The China is so fine, you can see through it.  Things like this aren't meant to be sold.  They're meant to be given away with love for the person receiving them.  How they have managed to be kept in one piece all these years, still amazes me!  They are, of course, numbered and registered as well. 

This one's new home is a lovely one.

..see how thin the China is...my fingers shadowed on the other side....


And another one of my most favorite pieces is this one.





The house is starting to look like this now.






So, it's a mess. 

Oh, and anyone out there who would like a China tea cup or some corn flower crystal, let me know.  I'll give it to you....and I mean that sincerely.:-)

No comments: