Saturday, January 19, 2013

A day for reflection...

Twenty-four years ago this very evening, held the last few hours I would spend with my Mom here on earth. If I had known that I wonder if I would have said more things to her than I did...more meaningful things.  Ya...hindsight....always 20/20!

But I thought it was a good day to think about her life and all she meant to me.  We were pretty close, although probably not as close as some mothers and daughters.  We were very different from one another, too.  She was straightforward and to the point.  I tend to beat around the bush in order to not offend.  I am learning her skill of being forthright though, to some degree.  There is a time for that...when few words are necessary.  It's a delicate skill to be sure.

I loved her joy of life and her quick temper.  Her ability to blow up into an Irish rage and two minutes later all is forgotten...hardly worth mentioning forgiveness:)  I think about that when Ken and I have a disagreement...sometimes I just sulk around for a bit and then I remember how mother did it!  So, I'm learning how to let off steam and then be able to say, "we have to have some excitement happening!"  And then I laugh.

That was mom.  She knew laughter often diffused a short temper!

So, dear Mom...I still think of you...very often.  When I look at my hands, I remember yours.  When I get busy in the kitchen and make a mess...I remember your kitchen every time you baked!  When I look at the love I have for my children...I remember the love you had for each of us.

Here she stands with us and our friends at the Kennedy Space Centre.  Did I mention her generosity in taking us to Florida to visit the Fullertons?  Yes, generous to a fault.  I must have been taking the picture:)

No comments: