Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I remember Moose....

In all our approximately 43 years of camping and flitting here and there throughout the P.A. National Park, we have never come across a moose......other than one single time.

This picture is of a slough which lies on the right side of the highway on the way to the Heart Lakes...on a curve and a hill.  In that, it's difficult to stop and get a picture.  I managed to do it one day because I wanted to remember this spot.  About 35 years ago, right in the middle of that slough was an enormous moose.  His back and head were above the water and of course, his magnificent antlers.  His head dipped down into the water coming back up dripping while his jaws munched on some sweet stuff that only a slough can offer a moose!

It was an incredible encounter with that ever-so illusive species.  Pretty ugly...but spectacular!!!

Even though I didn't capture him with a camera, I can still today, see him in my mind's eye...right there in the middle of that "pond".  Oh, the days of  'pre-digital'!!!  I won't give up hope of ever seeing one again, but the chances are pretty dang slim.

I suppose if I were really savvy with photo-shop, I could have "placed" one in there and no one would have been any the wiser.;)

Don't forget to batten down the hatches...we may be in for a tumultuous night....flash.....rumble....rumble...rumble...flash.....

No comments: