Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Being led by my Father's hand.

It's a few days now since our Relay for Life cancer walk, but from the moment I arrived back home from that walk my life has been a whirlwind.

Driving home from the Relay, Saturday morning, my husband announced that we most likely have sold our home. We had wanted to sell for the past 4 years or more but something always prevented us from going ahead with the sale.

The home I was raised in. Other than the first years of our marriage, this has been home to me. Now it will belong to another family.....when the mortgage for them is approved, of course.

It's kind of like handing off the baton like we did at the Relay for Life walk. Everyone keeps on going, one person being handed the baton to represent their team....but someone always walking. We will hand off our home to others who will enjoy this place. We will pack up our own precious memories, take them with us and keep on going elsewhere, but they will make their own memories here.

The first day was difficult. We hesitated, changed our minds, wondered if what we were doing was God's will for us. We remembered of course, that this is what we had asked God to do for us, to find someone who would enjoy our home like we had................ and now it was happening. Were we willing to follow Him in all of this.

The second day was just as horrific. It gave me one great huge migraine. It literally made me sick. Things happened that day and the next, leaving us to wonder again if we were doing the right thing. At one point we called the buyers to say we had changed our minds because we had found out our house really was worth quite a bit more than we had said we would sell it for....but, a hand was shaken, a promise was made. How could we go back on our word and expect God to show us his faithfulness. We kept our promise to the people and stayed with the agreed price.

After that decision, a great peace fell upon me. You know, the kind that passes all understanding. Ya, like that.

Today, I have no idea where we will be in a month, perhaps renting a house, I don't know. But I do know that the peace is with me and I know I'm being led by my Father's hand. It's into the unknown, but I'm holding on tight.

As the week progresses, I'll let you know where he has taken us.

I'm beginning to feel like a pilgrim of sorts like the great old hymn:
Guide me, Oh Thou great Jehovah
Pilgrim through this barren land,
I am week but Thou art mighty
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven
Feed me 'til I want no more,
Feed me 'til I want no more.

I'm holding on Father......and I'm smiling.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Sharon, I am going to miss you something terrible.....you have been so much more to me than a co-worker & sidekick...you have been a true friend, advisor, mother to talk to you and a shoulder to cry on and so much more......Lord knows you have seen me through many things. I like to think that were a present given to me from God.....to help fill the empty space in my heart after my grandmother left this world. Thank you for inspiring me to take the jouney or should I say adventure I am about to go on.
Love you....your #1 SideKick

Sharon Kent said...

Hey Sweetie! Ya, I'll miss you too and everyone else will as well.

Who on earth is going to answer time sheet questions??????

I guess each of us, as we pass through this world can either be of a help or a hindrance to those we work with. I usually choose to be of help - as do you.....although you know one darn sight more than I, that's for sure!

So, thanks for encouraging me with your words. I know you will do extremely well where you are going and I'm trusting it will be for just a short time.

I'm praying for God to walk with you in the weeks ahead, giving you wisdom, knowledge and an extra measure of His grace.

Blessings and peace to you.....until you return to your rightful place behind "the counter".
Love, S