Monday, August 13, 2007

Whoa.....that was some vacation.

Seems like I needed a good rest. Too much goin' on around me in June with house selling/renting/packing, etc. etc. I know what Dixie must have been feeling. Everything is like a big blur when it's happening because all the details have to happen in order and quickly........and so they did. It left me reeling.

So, off to vacation land we did go. Waskesiu Lake to be exact. For a month no less.....well a couple of days less, I suppose.

New 32 foot trailer was lovely. Loads of room. Air conditioning when it was 30+ degrees for many, many days......and a great heater for the last few days of our time there when it was rainy and cool.

Had family up for a spell. Took daughter and granddaughter fishin'. They had never done this kind of thing before. I could really take a good long while to explain all that went on during that afternoon "fun expedition" but suffice it to say, dear husband was earning his patience points. Ever seen two frantic females trying to do some fancy casting with a fancy reel but not quite sure how to flip the bale and cast the lure OUT into the lake. Yes, it was a scene fit for Utube, yes, it was. I sat at the bow and watched intently, smiling all the while......sometimes outright laughing hysterically.

While one cast a few feet out, the other was tangling her line up and while one was beginning to get the hang of the dang thing, the other somehow managed to catch an actual fish while expressing some real tears of.......what were they.........joy?errrr........uhhhhh.......anguish........well, I guess it could have been sadness at seeing the poor thing with a hook caught in it's mouth. Several explanations of "The Goodness of God's Provision" and "How to Feed Your Family Wholesomely Throughout the Long Cold Winter" were had at various points throughout the afternoon.

And a great time was had by all.

It took us the first two weeks of vacation to actually get a boat that had a motor that ran. That's another very long and boring story. You may ask husband about that one.

We did manage to get a boat with a motor that was very able to take the gals out tubing. Fun.

When they left for home, we got to some serious fishing, husband and I. While we fished we watched bald eagles soaring overhead, pelicans fishing near our boat so close we could see the whites of their eyes........(I really think they were trying frantically to show us their method but we just kept on working the rod and reel, besides I don't think our mouths were big enough to scoop 'em up), the loons called and swam close by, ducks, terns, crows and gulls kept us entertained.

We had tournaments of cribbage in the evening which actually saw me whip the pants off husband a few times and well......uhhhhhh....... we'll leave it at that..............yes, we had a very FUN time.

It's great to be back though. Getting into ye ole' groove and such. You know, washing clothes, getting up at the horrendous hour of 6:30 AM, actually going to work to earn a living to pay the bills and save up enough money to go back again next year. The 20 or so fish we threw back will have gotten much larger too.

And I'm really anticipating getting back to worship on Sunday. I have missed my church family. We will be welcoming our pastor and his wife back from their Sabbatical in a few weeks too. I'm anxious to hear of their time spent away and how God has revealed himself to them in these past several weeks. We are blessed people because of them. Yes.

It's after 9 PM. I'm tired after my first 8 to 5...........with another 4 to go.

..........and today, I really think I smelled fall in the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a fantastic writer Sharon! You had me laughing quite hard. Poor Brittney! It is always a shocker to see what actually happens when you attempt to fish. Maybe next year we'll come up for a visit too! Glad to hear your back and getting settled. Talk soon.