Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Talk.

I really don't like talking very much. If I need to, I will, otherwise I have a shyness about me that lends itself to my desire to be quiet. I think I would far rather listen. People seem to have a great deal to say, don't you think? They need to express themselves.......to someone. Some folks verbalize well and I like hearing what they have to say. Some are a bit more awkward about that for various reasons but I find that what they have to say is just as important as those who wax poetic regarding any and all things.

I think praying is like that. Some folks can speak well when they pray, others cannot. Some like formal liturgical prayers, others like informal, personal prayers. However we pray, God listens and God hears.

I'm thinking on these things today in response to Pastor Randall's sermon. It was taken from the Common Lectionary for September 23 from I Timothy 2. In that letter from Paul to Timothy, one of the things he encourages Timothy to do is to pray - he doesn't give specifics as to the "how", so we may assume that we should pray in whatever way we can, whether it be in words spoken, or words read from books, singing, dancing, playing music, art, working, running, resting....in all these things, we can speak to our God through his Holy Spirit.

And it's not only the manner in which we find ourselves praying, it's also about who we are praying for. Paul in his letter says we should be praying for the leaders of our country, those that run our cities and towns - all those who are in authority as heads of governments, whether we agree with their politics..............or not! We are called to pray for our enemies! Try that one. I must confess, I have not done well in that area. I have been critical and perhaps sometimes even rude. I need to change my ways.

I wonder too, what would happen to our city, right here in Prince Albert, if many people began to pray. Seems like an insurmountable task, doesn't it? The needs of our city are so great. But, if we asked God about it, could P.A. become a drug-free city? A place where all could find comfort and peace? Where young women could find safety and a sense of who they are in God's sight? Where all types of addictions would cease? Where children could walk and run and play in safety?

The Apostle Paul encourages us to pray, however we wish to express ourselves.

Since God is a faithful God, the results can only be positive...........

Pastor Randall said so much more than that, but those are the things that struck me today.

Peace.

No comments: