Saturday, October 13, 2007

The wrapping.

There are some people I know who think my sense of humor is "weird". So be it.

Today was the "wrapping of the deer meat" in our house. That's what happens after the hunt.

My job is to tear off pieces of brown freezer paper, tape the package after husband wraps it up and I then wright on the outside as to what cut of meat is inside.....you know, so you don't grab a brown package thinking it to be a roast and your mouth is watering in the morning thinking of the wonderful roast supper complete with scalloped potatoes and carrots and salad for the evening meal- and you find out the darned thing is hamburger - which means sloppy joes!

So, for many years I have had that envious position of 'package writer'. I have learned to make a game of it, in fact.

There are various ways to enjoy ones work, I say.

This year when writing on the packages of "back strap" I wrote, "Back St." followed by "Boyze".
On the roast package, I wrote, "Deer Roast, Thanks for all you have given to our family. I'm sorry you came to such an untimely end." Another one said "Deer Roast, How are you doing down there. I know it's chilly, but you're such a deer to endure the hardship." Yet another, "Dear Roast.....See you at supper!" or "Rostenhooferburger - ya, sure, ya betcha".

Ya. It's all pretty funny - even for husband, who takes out a brown package from the freezer for supper now and then during those cold winter months and reads all my little comments. He likes that.......and laughs even!

Wrapping CAN be fun.

3 comments:

Lauralea said...

I know I ALWAYS laughed when I took out a package that you'd written on. Besides the warm fuzzies from knowing someone loved us enough to share their deer meat, I got the bonus giggle from reading the Dear Deer letters.

: )

Thanks, Sharon!

Randall Friesen said...

:)

Anonymous said...

That is too cool Sharon, makes the job go by much easier tho. Thanks for the laugh.