Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I smell Christmas.

My nose had me going today and it was because Dave L. brought treats.

I was so busy that the scent didn't register until it was pointed out to me. Sitting on my desk was a basket filled with familiar things that looked and smelled like Christmas.

Nutmeg......cinnamon sticks....cloves............when I took the time to give the air a sniff, it all came to me, rushing into my brain like it was Christmas morning, 4 AM, my parents wishing so much for us to go back to bed. We simply couldn't do it. Much too much excitement. My brothers and I heading for the little dining room where, the night before, stockings hung empty and limp, now just a few hours later, were full to over-flowing, waiting for their owners to savor each precious gift......a very large red and white striped candy cane, a coloring book and new crayons, a Mandarin orange, an apple, various whole nuts, a mini-crossword game, some wrapped candies and a plastic mesh stocking hanging on the outside of the wool sock that was filled with candy and trinkets. It didn't really matter what we received, we were together, the five of us, laughing and talking and enjoying what had been given to us. We were given little but I remember the best part was being together and enjoying my family.

I miss those times. I miss the feeling of closeness with my parents. I miss seeing Mom in the kitchen, preparing the Christmas meal. I miss Dad sitting in his chair watching all of us with a huge smile on his face. He so enjoyed his kids.

That's what happened when I smelled that smell. Just in a flash it all went through my mind. Wonderful, beautiful, precious life-giving memories.........

And so, I thank Dave for his thoughtfulness. I'm sure he didn't realize it would do all that for me!!!

Noses are good for something (although a month ago when I was blowing it all day long, I wouldn't have said so!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy that Dave is a keeper!!

Sharon Kent said...

He sure is.